Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

thanks Thom - here's my thoughts

do you have the same L-pad settings on each speakers or do you vary them a little based on room acoustics? meaning like you would run the tweeter on a speaker near drapes a little hotter to compensate?

the NS-1000 are truly amazing in their tonal accuracy. i always thought one McIntosh MC-60 amp was a little "duller" with less gain and sparkle than the other. i could never really verify until the NS-1000 came to town.

the "hot" mac creates a lot of hiss with no source, the other has far less hiss.

switch the amps and the "loud hiss" switches speakers.

you turn the stereo reverse switch on my preamp, and the hiss doesn't switch channels, which leads me to believe there's definitely issues with the macs.

good thing i was going to have them gone through in a few weeks anyway. couldn't have done this without the yamahammers ;-)

also, i agree, the soundstage is HUGE, but unless there's obvious stereo separation with an instrument, it all gets blended into a wall of sound. so, not the greatest imaging.

but, that's the price you pay with really bulbous and big dome midranges. really wide dispersion with not much focus. that's okay though, the speakers sound very smooth and sexy. a narrower baffle would have helped, i bet.

my KEF Calindas don't have nearly the attack and detail of the NS-1000, but they image a lot better, but the sound always seems to stay between the speaker plane and never jumps out at you.

the yammies are keepers, they sound like ESLs but without the hassle. i love the bass, it does a surprisingly great job of keeping up with the domes. I'll get a longer interconnect for the sub later.

as far as power, i don't think i've ever comfortably listened to anything above, say 95DB. the macs don't sound stressed at all with the speakers, so I'm good there. and they sound smooth as silk. thy retain their lively attack, but it's NEVER harsh. people are right when they say the NS-1000 + tubes = HEAVEN.

once i get the macs ironed out, i think i found my last stereo system...

see ya,
Robby

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • thanks Thom - here's my thoughts - centaurus3200 10:00:16 05/10/07 (1)
    • response - Mahlernut 10:46:46 05/10/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.