Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: You're really going to hate me know

No, No, No! Not 6550's. If anything go for KT88's. They won't get you anymore power, but will have a richer sound with a better low end.

The main difference between the Mk II and the Mk III is the choke filtered power supply in the Mk III and the GZ34. With EL34's and a GZ34, you can get about 52 watts from the Mk II and better sound IMHO. Ask Airtime. He got the Mk II's and they killed his fully modded Stereo 70.

Before you start "upgrading" the Mk II's just try the GZ34 and replace the selenium rectifier and give them a listen. Hopefully the caps are OK.

My personal opinion is that the Mk II was the original design and it was "hot rodded" to get a few more watts to be competitive (the numbers game). The difference between 52 watts and a marginal 60 is only about 0.4 dB, not enough to worry about. I had a Mk II and a Mk III back in the very early 70's and actually back converted the Mk III to the Mk II, as I preferred the sound.

Do yours have the 4 ohm tap? That was an option on the Mk II.

Hate is too strong a word. Envy and intense dislike will have to suffice. OK, I hate you!

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.