Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Some decisions I have lived to regret.......

Back in the early 1970's, I picked up a mint condition McIntosh system (MC275, C22 and MR67) with a rack mounted Ampex 354, and, except for occasionally replacing tubes, used it with great satisfaction for another 17 years.

Unfortunately, I decided to sell the system in 1988 to a Japanese gentleman who was exporting Mac components to Japan. I was moving to a smaller apartment at the time, and, with a bad back, did not want to carry the MC275 with me. It was a real "boat anchor", weighing over 70 pounds. I also sold the Ampex, my Thorens 125 & 160 turntables and LP collection and converted to CDs.

Even though I got a good price for my systen at the time, I have regretted that decision ever since. After many failed experiments with Adcoms and Carvers that were supposed to eliminate the CD midrange harshness and shrill highs, I finally found some vintage 1970's Marantz receivers that gave me some of the warm tube sound I remembered from my Mac system.

For the past five years, I've been using a Marantz 2265B with satisfying results. However I still reminisce nostalgically about the Mac system I once enjoyed.

Regards,

Barney

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Some decisions I have lived to regret....... - BarneyT 16:53:45 05/08/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.