Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Well, a couple of thoughts....

I've restored my share of Mac tube gear and here's what went through my head as I read your post:

* Condition is important only to those who 'need' it. If this isn't an issue for you, then don't worry about the pitting and dents. These amps will, when properly restored, perform just like ones that have perfect chrome and lettering.

* Tubes: If you're going to restore it anyway, there's no issue with it lacking tubes. Just make sure its factored into the price. I purchase tubes from one guy only (Jim McShane) so I know what I'm getting.

* Replacement components: The quad FP filter cap is available but it won't look exactly like the original. See above comments on cosmetics....otherwise, most everything else is available but not necessarily as an exact, factory-sourced part. Do a search here and over in the Vintage Asylum for more comments I've posted on reworking Mac amps and recommended approaches. Be prepared to replace lots of parts in a Mac amp of this age, including all the caps and many of the resistors. I've 'blueprinted' one of the MC-225s due to so many old carbon comp resistors being out of spec.

* Price: If it helps, in the last couple of years, I've picked up the following Mac amps:

* 2 MC-30s: Cosmetically in poor shape with busted and modded input connectors. Paid $150 ea in this condition. Came with a bunch of no-name tubes that actually worked quite well.

* 2 MC-75s: Cosmetically in fail to poor shape from mainly being left out during some sort of paint spraying exercise. Rusty and lacked lettering in places. $300 each in this condition. They don't look that way now, of course. Came with no tubes at this price. I use the frequently these days.

* 2 MC-225s: One given to me and the other purchased with all-original McIntosh tubes! Sold the tubes to generate the funds for the restorations. Paid $700 for the 1 MC-225 - it was in good cosmetic shape. Have been used as mono-blocks for a number of years.

One other thought: If you are buying only one, this should also factor into the price. All above were sets. Lastly, I tend to pick up the 'runts' of Mac tube gear, refurbish them, then don't sell them. They sound too good and I can't ever let one go.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

David

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.