Vintage Asylum

RE: Good advice . . .

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Vintage Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

I replaced all electrolytics and what I thought were paper-n-foil caps in mine. Turns out that the paper caps were really some kind of polymer film and were pretty close to marked value AND not leaky at all. Even though these caps are pretty cheesy looking, they didn't need replacing. I do feel better with metalized PP film in there however.

I was also going to align the RF/IF sections but couldn't find alignment instructions so I don't know if the thing uses single peaked, undercoupled IFs or if it's a double peaked over-coupled design. As it turns out, it's reasonably sensitive and dial calibration is acceptable as-is so I've decided to leave it be for now.

The KLH 8 is a dated design that to my ears sounds oh-so-good. They really got it right with this radio. It totally blows away the Tivoli Model One in terms of sound quality and is close in RF performance. I think you'll really like it. My only disappointment is the incredibly crappy FM programming polluting the airwaves these days. The Model 8 was clearly designed for a long past era when FM was truly a HiFi medium and good programming was important.

Follow Ups: