Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Cleaning a Marantz 1060 amp

I've cleaned many chassis of both tube and solid state amplifiers (including the 1060) using a cleaning solution of 50% water/50% Windex cleaner or similar cleaning product containing ammonia. UNPLUG THE UNIT from the AC power source before attempting to remove the cover or begin cleaning.

Remove the cover taking care not to misplace any of the numerous screws or washers. I use a small paintbrush, perhaps 1/2" or 3/4" to be able to get into all the small spaces. I first use compressed air to blow out any loose debris. Working with the brush and the cleaning solution I work from one end of the open chassis to the other, until every part has been dabbed with the brush. The dirt will transfer from the components to the brush and then to the cleaning solution, so you may want to replace the dirty solution when you are half way done with the cleaning. I don't worry about rinsing the cleaning solution, it is mostly water anyway. I always let the unit dry completely (at least 24 hours, 48 hours is better) before attempting to plug it in and use it. After the unit is cleaned and dry, you may want to apply Caig contact cleaner or Radio Shack's contact cleaner to each of the switches and rotary controls as a final step. The RS spray leaves a film of very light oil behind to lubricate the controls. I have no complaints using this product in moderation on any of my equipment. One or two short blasts inside each control is all that is needed, then work the control a few dozen times. Watch for cracks in the jacket of the power cord of the 1060, I have seen this happen as these cords are becoming brittle with age. Wrap any break with electrical tape until you can make a more permanent repair by replacing the damaged cord.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.