Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: I just had a really scary thought..

David,

Welcome back!

I'm not sure your comparison is apples to apples. For one thing, the Smaller Advent was not around yet in 1969. Second, the HT in a box is probably closer to the all-in-one systems of that era, with the KLH Model 20 leading the pack--kind of the way Bose leads the HT-in-a-box today. H-K, Zenith and others made similar package systems. And, of course, they did vary all over the map and price was not a good indicator of quality. But then, it never has been.

One of the lessons of the KLH Model 20 is that if the pieces are engineered to work together, the whole far exceeds the sum of the pieces. We talk here at AA about matching being a key to getting a really good system and we're talking about nuances among high quality individual pieces. But it's really in the cheap stuff where matching is most important and most fruitful. So it's not about the pieces, so much as it is the skill and dedication of the people behind the HT-in-a-box that counts. If brand X-Y-Z is building only for price and appearance, and somebody at brand R-S-T has some skill and cares, it will make a huge difference. How do you sort that out? You listen!

My Bose AM-5 series II speakers cost me $600 about 12 years ago. Given the pieces in that and the quality levels, you could probably make something similar in China or Thailand and sell it for under $200. If it's a cobbled together look alike clone, it will sound like crap. If it's a careful copy with attention to detail, it will probably sound pretty good.

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.