Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Off the top of my head...

The AR2 has the 10" woofer plus two cone tweeters in a plastic assembly that are angled toward each other. They are each about 4" wide and are made of a brittle paper. The frames are closed back, and I remember reading somewhere that they used two to increase power handling. The 2a added a dome tweeter to this, and the dual cone assembly was moved to the side of the front baffle from the middle. The 2ax, I believe, uses the same or similar dome tweeter and mid as the 3a. I could be wrong about that, I may have a pair around here somewhere...The 2ax in the catalog picture MRH posted looks like it has the dome tweeter and a mid which could be a cone with a piece of fibreglass over it, I have seen those before on AR speakers.
The 2x I have never seen, in fact, I never knew it existed before.
BTW, the easiest way to work on a 2 or 2a is to unscrew and carefully pry out that dual cone tweeter assembly, you'll have plenty of room to get your hands in and get to the crossover and corroded pots. It is very difficult to pry out the woofer without damaging the cabinet. The putty they used to seal the drivers holds like cement...
--Matt
"You know why is that?"

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.