Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Random guess

That's kind of what we pieced together as the likely scenario. But without some experimental data, it's just speculation.

It does bring up an old "thing" of mine. That is, the "interface" errors are often larger than the internal errors in components. For example, the just mentioned aberration caused by extra cable capacitance at the interface between the Cd player and the preamp. Further, it doesn't show up in the bench tests on either component.

Amp and cable to speaker is one I've hammered on for years here and other places. Speaker to room, of course, generates big errors. And phono cartidge to phono preamp can generate frequency response aberrations larger than the specs for either the cartridge or phono preamp.

There are lots of others, some fairly obscure. Like having a tape deck connected to the tape out jacks, and the tape deck not powered up. Turns out some tape decks had a very low input impedance in that condition and it loads down the selected input.

This is all caused by the industry having a component orientation, instead of a systems orientation. So there are no good systems interfacing specifications, just industry standards for measuring the components on the bench.

When are you coming to Oberlin? I didn't save the e mail.

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.