Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Subjective versus objective listening and the warmth of Marantz.

Clarification points well taken. For my initial post I didn't intend to become overly involved in the descriptions of habituation or extinction.

It has been a long time since that 200 level behavioral psych class in undergrad. Still, I seem to recal the Pavlov and the use of bells as a myth. Believe the conditioning was done with timing at first and then rather complexly with buzzers.

Some behaviors do not extinguish. Extinction as I remember refers to involuntary sensory responses and behaviors extinguish. As in pure Skinnerian Behaivoral Therapy as opposed to Cognitive Behavioral Therapy ala Beck or Ellis. As Humans we can choose to "change" consciously are behaviors thru cognitive processes rather than have them extinguish. That rat, he will push the bar until it dies if the orginal reinforcer was cocaine. But I digress.

Your example of habituation was a very good one to this discussion. If listening to vinyl, the "startle" response to a click or pop will diminish over time given that it is experienced in relatively the same manner or a given period of time.

Regards,
HB

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Subjective versus objective listening and the warmth of Marantz. - HamBone77 15:34:27 04/30/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.