Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Subjective versus objective listening and the warmth of Marantz.

Hambone
that is beautifully stated and whats really funny is even tho I listen to a top quality system in my martin logans and mcshane citations or my modded mac mc60s,I can listen to other smaller systems I have for a while and become oblivious to small amounts of distortion and maybe mudiness by comparison to the logans and I will think it sounds superb.
Another thing in audio that I believe affects our phenomna is the illusion of something small having the perception of sounding so large and so good..Example. When the ads/braun speakers came out in the late 70s,here were these little tiny 6 inch high monitors producing sound and dynamics of speakers 10 times their size..We were so amazed at what this little speaker could do that we thought it had every quality of the big speakers and more until we put them side by side and found out differently.The fact that the speaker this small could even produce such sound,we were tricked into thinking it was better than the big ones and its all because of the fact we had never before seen somthing this small sound so large and dynamic.The Bose wave radio was another example..It doesnt sound for crap IMHO but it did sound very large by comparison to many radios that were much much larger.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Subjective versus objective listening and the warmth of Marantz. - Michael Samra 13:55:03 04/30/07 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.