Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Only one right answer -

As always, nobody but an audio fool would gainsay (or gainclone) Tommy the K's always wise advice. What's for dinner tonight, Tommy? Marilyn and I are going to hear Beethoven's Fifth at NJPAC this afternoon. Maybe we'll stop someplace in the Ironbound afterwards for a bite.

My new tech, Russ Barbone, was the number two man in Perdue Radio's service department for some years. Many will remember Perdue in Montclair, New Jersey - in its day one of the biggest McIntosh dealers in America. Russ was trained by the McIntosh factory, and can take any McIntosh product apart and put it back together in the dark. He has great respect for McIntosh equipment, and owns virtually every piece of service gear McIntosh ever made.

His personal system is built around a Pioneer Spec 1 and Spec 2. Make of this what you will. I drive my Tannoy GRF Memories with a McIntosh 7270 (recently refreshed by Russ), and desire nothing more. Assuming that the Pioneer pieces and the McIntosh are in the same condition electronically and cosmetically, my personal prejudice would tilt my choice towards the 6200. But I would certainly discuss the matter with Russ, and his opinion would weigh heavily in my decision.

I had recently posted that the only problem with Russ was that because he lacked a tube tester, he was unable to service tube equipmnet. Thanks to a Stancor purchased on eBay, however, that is no longer the case. His work is meticulous, his turn around super-sonic, and his rates reasonable in the extreme. He works out of his home in Nutley, New Jersey, and can be emailed at russellsonny@verizon.net, or reached by phone at (973) 667-0379.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Only one right answer - - Chef Henry 07:10:38 04/29/07 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.