Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Still at it..

I guess I'm totally hooked. I haven't changed what I'm listening to (the modded Advents); but today I picked up a nice clean pair of Boston A70's (first series). Cabinets and grills are in nice, but not pristine shape. Years ago I had a pair of A70 series II. Loved those, but there was not enough bass output for the levels I wanted in a large rec room. I ended up with those for the mids and highs and a DIY 12" subwoofer for the lows.

I'm not sure what I'll do with these (besides restore them), but the series II were a favorite of mine. I took these to settle a debt. It was the best deal I could make.

Anyhow, these use a very different tweeter than other Bostons I have seen. I know I've seen these before, but can't place it. Soft dome, round metal faceplate, and the face plate has a double circular row of punched-in slots around the dome. Does that ring any bells? An earlier SEAS?

The other goody is a Sony STJ75 tuner I found. I'll get that on Tuesday. I've wanted one of these ever since the Audio review by Len Feldman. He gave it a really glowing review. Said it was absolutely the best tuner he ever heard. Feldman was a good deal more reserved than Julian Hirsch, so I take his review as high praise. So next week, I'll have a tuner shootout with my Onkyo T-4087.

While out and about, a shop had a pair of Altec 19's playing. It has been a long time since I heard those. They really needed a much bigger room, I could only get about 6' from them and at that short distance, the horn and the woofer did not fully integrate, so you could hear them as separate drivers. Plus, they were only about 18" apart, so there was no soundstage. Even so, they sounded wonderful. Fanciers of modern designs ought to give these a listen under good conditions. They were hooked up to a CD player, a Hafler DH-110 preamp, and an Audire power amp and some kind of demo disk was playing as there were all kinds of music on it. I just pulled up a chair and listened for about 20 minutes. If I had the room, I'd be sorely tempted. Probably good I don't have the room.

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - Still at it.. - Bold Eagle 17:28:12 04/27/07 (6)

You can not post to an archived thread.