Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Altec 340-A Amplifier

Triode electronics has some information about this amp in their "dusty files" section:

"The next year Altec Lansing introduced the first consumer unit with them, the Altec A-340A with a pair loafing along producing 35 watts. This amp also used the then new RCA 12AY7 which answered calls by some for a medium-gain tube designed for audio without having to resort to the 12AT7 which had characteristics then considered undesirable for audio use:small plates and lack of a twisted, hum rejecting filament. (later 12AT7's apparently incorporated the latter improvement) However the tube never quite caught on in latter day equipment as the 12AT7 did. Note the voltage regulator tube-also present in the RCA MI-9377 and the Dukane amp, testifying to the necessity of stabilizing screen voltages in high gain amplifiers using beam tetrodes when other solutions to the problems of instability and oscillation with beam tetrodes (generally cathode feedback, ultra linear and "unity coupled" arrangements) weren't used. This additional design consideration helped popularize the "true pentode" tubes such as the 6CA7/EL34 and 6BQ5/EL84 in the fifties. These types generally have lower inherent IMD as well."

The web page has a link to the schematic, so follow the link below.

These seem quite uncommon. I have a single 340A amp and have been looking for a mate for about two years. I have had a search on eBay for this time, and I don't think one (or more) have come up for sale recently.

RT Barr

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Altec 340-A Amplifier - rtbarr 20:42:32 04/25/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.