Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: re: Pilot SA 260 amp....can anyone suggest any tube

I've found this amp to be very sensitive to tube complement. That's good news/bad news. You can tailor the sound to your taste, but it's going to take some tube rolling.

* If you like the old time tube sound/golden glow, then there's nothing like a quad of Mullard EL34 output tubes. I tried them in my SA-260 and found it a bit to syrupy for me.

* I'm currently using a set of Sylvania 6CA7 tubes that sound big, brassy and bold, but aren't all that refined.

* If you want new production, I've only tried a couple types so far. I used a set of the EH EL34's and found them fairly bright and somewhat tipped up on the high end. Even after a week of fairly steady use, they retained that character, altho they did settle down a bit.

* I also tried a set of the Shuguang EL34's and found them easy to listen to, but not especially extended in the highs/lows.

* I tried to use a set of JJ KT77's but the quad I got has undersized tube pins and can't be used in my amp. I've heard they've fixed that QC problem, but if you order a set you should be sure to demand them. I've got a set in another EL34 amp and I like the KT77's better than the Mullards in it (more linear, more extended, but still keeping much of the "midrange magic" of the Mullards).

That's just the output tubes. Lot's more to try. But I've also found the SA-260 to be pretty sensitive to the 12AU7 input tube and 12AX7 driver tubes. For the 12AU7's I've tried about 7 different types:

* At the moment I'm using a yellow 'E' RFT 12AU7 which seems pretty neutral.
* Didn't like the Mullards at all. The two I tried were both thick sounding and rolled off in the treble.
* Tried a Mazda Cifte, and found it very balanced sounding, not as extended in the treble as the Raytheon or the RFT.
* Liked the Sylvania that came in it (don't know which variety it is), but found the bass somewhat wooly and undisciplined. But very lively sounding.
* Tried an RCA black plate 3-mica and found it an overall nice sounding tube, but not really dynamic. I could easily be happy with it though.
* The Raytheon (2-mica, but I don't know what type of construction) was my favorite, but a little deficient in the bass. Nice clear highs and good separation on musical instruments. magnificent flutes, but cymbals were a bit splashy, and definitely less bass than the RCA or RFT.
That's my list so far.

For the 12AX7's I've only tried Mullards, new Mullard re-issue, and the Telefunken ribbed plates that are in the amp right now. I tend to like a more neutral, accurate sound without losing midrange warmth (female vocalists have to sound 'there' and 'right'). The tele's are the best so far, but I've got a lot more AX7's to try if I get around to it.

So my final will probably be RFT 12AU7, Telefunken ribbed plate 12AX7,s and maybe JJ KT-77's, or maybe not, depending how they stack up when I get a set that fit. Right now the Shuguang's aren't too bad, but I'm having more fun with the Sylvania 6CA7's.

YMMV. Hope this helps. It should at least suggest some things for you to think about.

Frank

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: re: Pilot SA 260 amp....can anyone suggest any tube - CometCKO 19:00:30 04/25/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.