Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Altec 340-A Amplifier-Help

Not so scarce, just one of those treasured amps that got bought up before the eBay run. IIRC typical paraphase Altec driver/phase splitter arrangement using 12AY7 and a 12AT7 (?). One of the few amps to use a 12AY7 as I recall. Output section has a voltage regulator on the screens of the 6550's. Nice iron, but it includes on of those adjustable feedback and damping factor attenuators... I modified mine just to play around with feedback. Overall a nice amp that in the past would be in the $600-1000 mark dependent on condition. I am not sure what you could get these days as the arket is mostly responsive to the moron factor, paying huge sums for mediocre gear made in vast numbers with a name plate that everyone can recognize. I have this picture of some attorney going to the post office in his BMW, wearing his Armani suit to pick up his latest McIntosh amp. Ah, it does someone good own things clearly recognizable as overpriced by everyone..;^)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.