Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Opening an Electrolytic Can (of worms) Capacitor...

If the multi section cap is newly manufactured: say from AES, it won't have PCB. PCB is actually pretty inert, and was deliberately designed to be so. If you've ever worked on those 50's and early 60's cars, you've probably already been exposed to PCB. They were in that tarry stuff they stuffed into the voltage regulators. If you're worried, use a pair of surgical gloves when disassembling the cap, I believe most electrolytics have a propylene glycol (antifreeze) solution in them with some other chemicals added.

If you already have the AES cap in and it is leaking, chances are that the the voltage being applied is greater than what the cap is rated for. Early multi section caps were something like 475 volt rated and the newer ones have upped their voltage rating to something like 525 (I forget the actual ratings, it's been a while). Sprague used to check their caps at twice the rated voltage for 3 minutes and can take a high ripple, or voltages that would otherwise kill many caps. They are now a division of Vishay and I haven't pushed their recently manufactured products' ratings. Remember when restoring older vintage gear, many have power transformers rated for a 115 VAC input, and the current standard is 120, and 125 is not uncommon these days. Secondaries can easily exceed the original parts specifications.

Stu

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.