Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Heathkit AA-32 -resistors & caps questions

Those pi-filter R are 1/2 watt each & should be 3300 ohms, 3300 ohms, & 15K ohms. The two voltage-doubler duty caps were 30uf @ 200v originally; 350v replacements are OK (new caps will have shorter leads so you may need to reverse physical position of the two for fit; do pay attention to correct connection). There are no 15uF value capacitors in the AA-32. The four electrolytic cathode bypass capacitors should also be replaced with 47uf@35volt (originals 50uf/25v). The original 0.1uf @400v Pactron Mylar coupler-duty capacitors in the power amp section may pass-thru or leak some Direct Current by now & thus are also candidates for replacement; measure to find out, there should be zero volts DC after the capacitor. Measure all resistors for value drift & replace those that are out of spec. Heathkit Co. is still in business (just no longer in the consumer electronics kit business) & supports the old kits via Assembly & Operation Manual copys @ ~$25. The Manual is invaluable for restoration & to insure correct original assembly & includes all specs. Despite the clear Manual instructions, I've found assembly errors in quite a few AA-32, probably because this was Heaths' lowest-priced Stereo Amplifier @ $40 in the 1960's. Insert heathkit in-between the ubiquitous www dot dot com & select Support from top of page menu. I assembled my 1st AA-32 in the mid 1960's & still listen to it. Private email is OK.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.