Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Install Isolation Transformer on Zenith Console?

David
I actually learned electronics on this kind of stuff years ago as many of us have and also building several heathkits.
I like ELI's ideas especially for a learning and building process but I would do it on a separate chasis and make a nice unit you can learn on.
As far as safety goes on these old units with isolation,I think many take this too far..It is a series wired unit and all the table radios years ago that had the 50c5 and 35w4 and 12ba6 and 12be6 tubes all were series wired with no isolation transformer.If you really think its a problem you can buy one on ebay cheap to plug the unit into but all us have gotten shocks at one time or another and are still getting them to this day no doubt..I think everyone should experience the thrill of getting a nice 300 to 500v low current tickle.It builds character and look,we are all still here to tell about it.In my case it may have caused a little brain damage from getting so many but my mothers tells people she dropped me on my head when I was two days old so maybe thats where it came from.Who knows!
Anyway the channel thats out or weak is going to be caused by a bad tube or a bad low uf electrolytic in the preamp part of the unit that is coupling no doubt or maybe just a dirty driver or preamp tube socket .It may be a transformer to as they werent well made.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Install Isolation Transformer on Zenith Console? - Michael Samra 22:38:10 04/23/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.