Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

critical listening outdoors?

Dyna A25s 80 feet away ? And, they didn't overload and break-up at loud levels ? 80 feet away ? Wow ! I gotta get some Dynas...
Outdoors, with no backdrop, and no side walls, as in the Kutztown pavillions, is a real challenge for woofers and imaging. Each wall/floor boundary can add 2-3 db more bass, at bass resonance freq.
That is why corners and wall/floor speaker placement sounds so boomy, at times. Without the accentuation of wall or floor surfaces, speakers get a real workout.
Since recordings are made with walls and floors present, our listening rooms are a much better venue for serious listening, allowing better recreation of space. After all, our hobby/obsession is indeed, the search for our favorite illusion of sonic reality.
Setting speakers on picnic tables, in "free air" sounds nice near field. Move further back, and you want more bass. Add some bass on the preamp, and some woofers give up, quickly. Putting a set of Altec VOTs on the floor would be great. But, who has the room in their cars to bring a pair ? Altec Voice of the Theater speakers are anything but portable. We're trying to bring audio gear, parts and tubes, and vintage radio stuff to trade. Anybody out there volunteer to bring my Altec Valencias(and deliver them back home, in my basement) ? I'll make it worth your while. I certainly can't fit them in my little wagon.
Last year's autumn show, we chose large ADS two-ways, floor mounted. They sounded great. Putting them up on stands, outdoors, was hopelessly depressing. On the floor, though, they sung nicely. When the owner tried his newly acquired ADS speakers at his home, he disliked them ! At the show, we all thought: what a great, natural sounding tweeter...They imaged nicely on the asphalt floor, too, but not very far away. Altecs would have been great...
So, who is going to bring some big speakers to Kutztown ? Some big speakers, that don't need much power, but can handle some power, would be nice. Our hifi demo, Friday eve, is a gas ! All who partake, are welcome to bring their favorite gear for all of us to listen with. Bring your fave CDs and LPs. May 11th, Friday afternoon/eve, at Kutztown, PA, at the Renningers Antique Market. More info at www.dvhrc.org

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • critical listening outdoors? - Interstage Tranny 12:55:42 04/21/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.