Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Since we're not sure exactly what was done....

to the amp in the restoration, my gut tells me that he needs to look at some of the old resistors that were left in the amp.

I've seen this before with some of the Mac tube amp restorations I've done. The scenario goes like this:

* Did a full restoration of all the power supply caps, the coupling caps in the audio stages and rebuilt the bias supply with new parts.

* Checked all the resistors in the circuit and replaced any that were out of spec or had hairline cracks (causes noise or 'wandering' values).

Once I put the amps into use, they worked fine for a while. Then they didn't sound so great....back into the amps to see what's wrong.

* I've seen 2 problems from the above:
1) Couldn't set the AC Balance: Due to a leaking coupling cap. Yep, I've seen new caps go bad once they were placed under a load for a while.
2) More commonly, I've discovered that some of the resistors I didn't replace originally, have now drifted out of spec. The older the amps, the more this appears to happen. This is what I suspect has happened to your Pilot.

I'd suggest you return it to the repair guy and have it looked at for these reasons.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

David

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.