Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Reasons for this price are NOT good!

A couple of years back, Stereophile did a thing on 100 products that rocked the hi-fi world. The Advent made the list as the first affordable audiophile speaker. I wouldn't have put it on my list for that reason, but it would certainly be on my list as it was a very influential product.

Today, some 37 years later, we look at it as a lower cost alternative to the AR3a and KLH 5 in the new England Sound school of design; but at the time it was much more. In 1970-71, a pair were $228 in walnut and $202 in vinyl; at a time when a pair of AR3a's or KLH 5's cost $450. As you said "a working man's audiophile speaker". I can remember the stir when they came out, and I quickly went and found a shop that stocked them for an audition. They were set up with the usual speaker wall and switching console and in this shop the house amp was McIntosh. I went through AR-3a, AR-5, AR-2ax, KLH 5, KLH 6, KLH 17, and the Advent. The Advents bettered them all, overall; except the little KLH 17 was better on vocals. The KLH 5 was very close, maybe better, but at twice the price, it was no contest.

I don't know if it's still true, but at one time the Advent was the highest volume speaker of all time. It might still be, I'm hard pressed to think of any other single model that could replace it. The JBL L-100 had the title for highest dollar volume of any model. That too, might still be a record.

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Reasons for this price are NOT good! - Bold Eagle 12:04:28 04/17/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.