Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Cap suggestions for Dynaco MKII

Everything that follows is opinion. Take it with a little salt. ;~)

716P series "orange drops" are fine, as they have Copper leads. Avoid the 715P series as they have steel leads.

The NFB loop has a homogenizing effect. The only thing more costly than 716P ODs I'd consider are SCR (France) made Tin foil/polypropylene film parts.

Coupling caps. larger in value than OEM are a GOOD thing. You want the high pass pole formed by the coupling cap. and O/P tube grid leak resistor to have a "corner" freq. <= 5 Hz. The idea is to hold the LF error correction signal down, as that avoids saturating the O/P trafo (BAD). Also, phase shifts are less of a problem.

An additional step to protect the O/P trafo core against saturation is to roll off infrasonic trash at the amp's I/Ps. Select a cap. value that combines with the voltage gain blocks' grid leak resistors to "corner" just below 20 Hz. Replace the wires between the RCA I/P jacks and the grids of the voltage gain blocks with the caps. 50 WVDC is PLENTY for this job.

Eli D.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Cap suggestions for Dynaco MKII - Eli Duttman 16:04:19 04/13/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.