Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

You're asking a religious question

Religious, since there are a variety of opinions on this topic. You should visit the Dynaco Doctor on Audio Asylum and post there too.

I find the Dynaco's can be a bit slow and turgid if the parts arent' carefully chosen, so I like to spark them up a bit with poly caps. I've used Kimber Kaps, Cardas, and Illinois MPW's with good success in previous Dynaco's. Some like Sonicaps too, but I found them a little TOO bright in my last Dynaco.

I like the Russian PIO's (especially the K40's) in other amps, but I preferred the Kimber Kaps in the last Dynaco I did. A couple of good sources on ePay for those K40's. I'm also partial to the Obbligato's (the copper ones) sold at diyhifisupply.com.

None of these are the killer high-price spread (Hovlands, V-Caps, Dynamicaps and the like). These high-end caps make sense in modern amps where you're trying to maximize detail and frequency extremes. Less sense (to me anyway) in vintage amps. I don't have experience using them in Dynaco's.

The others I mention are all in my caps box, and are ones with which I have personal experience on a pair of Mk III's and several ST-70's. Should be transferable learning, but as always, YMMV

HTH!

Frank

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • You're asking a religious question - CometCKO 15:36:32 04/13/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.