Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Audio Research D76a without and with AR SP3 pre?

I've had both the 76 and the Sp3a-1 but never thought about using the amps (had 2) without the preamp so take this with a bit of a grain of salt. The preamp through several amps had a similar sound quality. I retained the amps and used them with a series of preamps over a period of time. Also used the preamp was used with other amps so have an idea as to its sound. 1 thing about the D76a is that the level controls affect the overall sound as it changes the input impedence. So depending in the output impedence of the player there may be a match or slight mismatch depending on the #s. The preamp was designed to be used with the 76a with the 76a level controls wide open. In this configuration, the preamp combination should exhibit a very slight and I mean slight veiling in the upper midrange. The preamp is fast and the amp is also quite so also. When either is used with a slower component there is a noticable increase in speed. Together they did not seem to increase the speed beyond what either seemed to impart. On airy strings such as harp, there should be a little more string impact; but not a change in the string sound as I experienced say with the ARC Mc combinations.

The 3a and 76a were a wonderful combination for me and it was tough to move the 3a out of the house but I kept the 2 76a amps for a number of years after and put them to very good use. I could have as easily sold the Mc system and kept the Arc setup and lost nothing in the satisfaction quota.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Audio Research D76a without and with AR SP3 pre? - Brian Levy 14:53:11 04/13/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.