Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Fisher FM-80 is a good one

I used to use these, as well as the FM90X. I hope you have better luck with tube tuners than I did. They always crap out, in time.
Tubes get weak, parts drift in value, and alignments get needed. Then, to make things frustrating, the weak tubes may be preferable while aligning !
But, often, tube tuners have a sound that is very sweet. The FM80 was quite sensitive, and locked in stations well, for quite a while. They even lasted longer than the FM90Xs I have owned. I graduated to the REL Precedent, and now, the REL Green Giant. Those are not affordable, though.
If your budget is the limiter, you will still luck out, with some sleepers. For example, there are 4-7 tube tuners that are not valued high, that actually work well in the real world.
Recently, I stumbled onto a solid state Sansui TU-717, which has great stereo reception, compared to the Green Giant through a MPX unit. With tube tuners, on the less sensitive jazz/blues stations, I usually listen in thrilling dual mono mode. Happy Hunting !

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.