Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Anyone Recognize These Axiom Speakers?

I posted this inquiry on the speaker forum but didn't get much, so this is the next logical place to post. I have a pair of speakers which were first acquired in the mid '70s when I lived in southern California. Long ago, I sold them to a friend to raise funds for the purchase of "the next pair of speakers". They came back to me for free years later when he was cleaning out his garage. Now I would like to know more about them, but can't find any info on the web. If anyone reading this recognizes them from the following description, I would appreciate any information you may provide. They are branded Axiom, but the sticker says "Made in USA", not Canada. They are very heavy, constructed from 3/4 inch MDF, with an internal divider positioned diagonally, top to bottom, with a rectangular port (4"x 8") on the rear panel. There are veneered end caps on both top and bottom ends. They are a 2-way transmission line design measuring 38"H x 12.5W" x 12.5D" with a Peerless-like 1" dome tweeter and a 8" woofer with a coated paper cone and a large coil diameter. Each tweeter has a very small perforation in the center of the soft dome and there seems to be a cotton-like material stuffed into the space between the outer dome and whatever is behind it. They sound quite good and to me, their most noticible characteristic is a very tight & dynamic bass response. I think they were manufactured somewhere around the San Fernando Valley, but I'm not certain. I hope the pictures help. Any information is appreciated.

Thanks

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Anyone Recognize These Axiom Speakers? - Vinylosaurus 18:43:16 04/12/07 (10)

You can not post to an archived thread.