Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: McIntosh C26 ain't bad....

Hi, Tromatic:

Thanks.

I clearly recall a situation which happened about thirty years ago.

I purchased a beautiful used McIntosh C-28 and thought at that time, that I had fallen in love with the piece. But, alas, I was very disappointed with the sound of the phono preamp section in the unit. I then brought it to a dealer-sponsored McIntosh Performance Clinic and had it thoroughly tested. The unit not only met spec, but exceeded it by a major margin. So, even with vanishingly low distortion and all, it still sounded bad to me.

I had an opportunity to purchase a nice Marantz 7 tube preamp and once I had that unit in my system, I never again operated the C-28 and the day I sold it was a day for some amount of relief and celebration.

Not to complain! About four years ago, I spotted a C-28 with a smashed front glass at a local flea market and it was priced at $10, so I purchased it. It also worked but did not sound that great to me, yet I kept it as a "flea market" souvenier!

Good luck with the SP-3 when you get it back. I also remember how nice those units not only sounded when they were new, but saw excellent results when someone brought one to yet another of the famous McIntosh Performance Clinics--in an era when they were testing anything brought in to them.

Exemplary performance, to say the least!

Happy trials!
Richard Links
Berkeley, CA

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.