Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Philips arms were good ?

Now, as I remeber it, the seventies were my best twenty years of a decade. My older brother and I had original AR tables, with their flimsy, play in the arm pivot bearings, tonearms. Mind you, though, with the right cartridges, those ARs sounded great, didn't they ? They spawned the Thorens TD-150, the Fons CQ30, the Linn !
Don't these Philips tables have a flimsy, play in the bearings, type of tonearm ? If you can wiggle the arm tube and feel any play in the bearings, then the consensus of opinion is usually not a good one.
However, this is audio, and audio is a hobby of combinations. So, obviously, with the right combos, you guys were pleased with these Philips. They are certainly easily and reasonably available.
I used to have a very long affair with my Stanton 681 carts. But, honestly, their finest sound comes from a more sophisticated tonearm.
If you like that cart, try the early stereo Pickering/Stanton 380 cartridges. I actually still use that one, known as the chicken head, and heartily recommend it to all...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.