Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Infinity Primus 360=Dr.Toole=great engineering=price/performance value:)

Do you know of Tom Danely? He is a speaker guy who posts on the asylum that I am very impressed with. Dr. Geddes has some stuff worth looking into and I use waveguides modeled after his work. There is "some" innovation in speakers and they are much better now. Too bad Kantor left NHT but their new speakers get good reviews??...I haven't heard them but have some old ones. And let me tell you I respect speaker engineers since I recently had the gall to think I could build some and am getting my ass kicked despite what I think was a recipe for easy success. A very multi disciplined field indeed. Value can indeed be had in speakers including some vintage ones. I do have the advents but these days I lust more after the altecs and revere the work by the greats like Harry Olsen. Some guys can read the books…some guys write the books!

It warms my heart to see you still active and even more to see you say as much. At times I fear my hearing will be too far gone when I finally have the time to really indulge my hobby(ies).

Needless to say I could continue this chat and ramble for hours. Suffice to say I think times are better than they have been in a long time. New technology, superior parts, finally some fresh ideas, vastly superior computer sims/models, as well as a return to old school magnetics, horns/waveguides, high efficiency drivers, and even field coil drivers. And that’s only speakers! And on top of it all, how blessed can we be because I could think of…what?…10 maybe 20 guys that post here that are all people that can command top money as consultants/designers. It is an altruistic thing and a huge leg up to those willing to learn enough to understand what they have to say. Lord knows we didn’t have those resources on tap back in the 60’s-70’s.

If I seem testy at times it is because I strongly feel that many in this forum concentrate on some of the worst years of audio design. A lot of the new(er) stuff, like the 360 you mentioned, offers better value. To me there was like a 30 year period of pretty bad stuff.

Russ

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Infinity Primus 360=Dr.Toole=great engineering=price/performance value:) - Russ57 15:06:28 04/09/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.