Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Phillips 312 turntable

Hi, Bob:

As others have pointed out:

The 312 substituted red leds on the touch controls, rather than use obsolete and nearly impossible to find replacement incandescents which were used in the 212. I belive that this constitutes the only differences between the two turntables, except perhaps for some other styling changes on the various buttons, etc. Some later Model 312's also utilized synthetic or faux wooden sides, not the genuine walnut veneers that Phillips used in the earlier 212's.

If you were thinking of substituting any other arm on a GA-212, it would seem to me to be like putting lipstick on a pig. Why do it?

The turntable is truly semi-automatic. This means that when play ends, the motor stops running, leaving the tonearm still laying on the LP. As far as I remember, the tonearm does not lift at the end of play. You have to MANUALLY operate the hydraulic lift button for that to happen.

The GA-212 was among the most beautifully designed and I might add, wonderfully well engineered turntables to appear in the seventies. Phillips sold a gazillion of them, because it was not only a superb player, but it was so well engineered.

The cartridge of choice when I owned one (circa 1972) was the Stanton 681eee. The arm is not that bad, even by the present standards, but it is not designed for a massive moving coil-type cartridge and does best with a high compliance cartridge, meaning, moving magnet, not moving coil.

The GA-212 is a totally engineered product. The suspension of the platter and arm are integrated and the resonance is very low.

If your GA-212 refuses to stop at the end of play, the problem is usually caused by a burned out lamp in the sub-chassis assembly which controls this function. As the tonearm cruises across the platter while playing a disc, there is a small lightweight arm also moving below which contains a small piece of photographic film. This passes between a light source and a photo sensor, causing the motor to switch off as it cuts off the light source.

Recently, someone in my Berkeley neighborhood actually tossed out a working GA-212. The only routine things that need to be done to them is to replace the drive belts and renew or replace any incandescent lamps on board. The GA-312 with LEDS might not be so affected as far as the touch controls are concerned, but the belts do need to be changed every so often.

The only other drawback was that the GA-212 and 312 would stop rotating if you attempted to press down on a spinning disc in an attempt to clean an LP with a Discwasher brush!

Enjoy!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.