Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Truth be told Jerry,

Amen to the lack of competent engineering. It reminds me of a debate between John Dunlavy (a real engineer) and John von Schweikert. Dunlavy tied him in knots.

There are a number or good engineers in the business. Nelson Pass for one, Floyd Toole at Infinity, and Ken Kantor. Lots of others as well. But there also have been a lot of hacks and pretenders.

I'm still having fun in the hobby and still learning a lot. The odd thing is that I can still get excited about it. I think some of what has me in a satisfaction mode right now is the purchase last year of an RTA and good microphone. I can actually see what I'm doing, and the fact that the modded Advents measured so well was icing on the cake. I really was pretty excited about that.

Engineer or not, your triamped system is the right way to do that. For one thing, if the impedance is flat, there is no interaction with the amp's source impedance, so you're free to pick the amp for other criteria.

I subscribe to Stereophile, but only because of John Atkinson's test measurements. He does a good job of that and it's fun to see some highly touted and expensive speaker have a frequency response that looks like a cross section of the Alps. And it's also nice to see something like the Infinity Primus 360 have such good measurements for only $600. They have recently tested quite a number of $1000 to 1500 speakers which got both rave reviews and fine measured performance. Considering that a pair of walnut Advents built today in the USA would probably go for $1200-1500/pair; that's about the right price point for that level of performance. Of course, today, Kloss could not get away with the Masonite parts, the stamped steel frames on the speakers, and cheap crossover parts. So maybe they would go for $2000/pair in the "audiophile" model, set up for bi-wiring and internally wired with exotic wire.

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.