Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

HPM-100 tweeters

I'm the proud new owner of a 31-year old pair of Pioneer HPM-100 speakers (original owner GAVE them to me, along with a PERFECT SX-950).
After I took them home and hooked them up, I found out why he donated them -- the tweeters in both speakers are fried. These HPM-100's seem to be the original ones -- 50/100 watt rating, NO trim ring around port, etc.

The tweeters in both speakers are part number 45-711A, with a date code of 76 07. I looked at the Pioneer web site for replacement part numbers, and although the parts aren't available, they list a replacement part number as 45-711C.

Why the question, you ask? Well, I see plenty of 45-711C's and 45-711B's for sale on eBay, but no 45-711A's. Will the 45-711C (or "B")work in the place of the 45-711A? I don't want to screw with the crossover frequencies, etc., and even though both tweeters will be replaced (matching) I want these buggers to sound as much to the original spec as possible.

Opinions? Suggestions? Thanks!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - HPM-100 tweeters - StevieRay 12:01:15 04/09/07 (8)

You can not post to an archived thread.