Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Truth be told Jerry,

you and I agree more than we disagree ( I have a lot of respect for your knowledge and experience). Biggest difference is you are older and have already had your fun in this hobby. Me, I am still trying to find out how far I can go (so I get a little excited and full of piss and vinegar at times). Plus building my own stuff is a partly a hobby, partly a way for me to acquire what I want, and partly a lame attempt at self-teaching myself electronics :)

I could not agree more about engineering and snake oil. I can't think of any other "technical" area with such a disdain for, and lack of, competent engineering. But then I am someone who would think taking an existing amp and simply triode strapping the output tubes with no other changes is an incompetent act! And don’t even get me started on designs that run parts way outside rated specs.

FWIW I run a tri-amped system with solid state for the bass. All drivers are picked and operated in such a manner that the amps (other than bass) see a constant impedance load. This gives me a great deal of freedom in amplifier design as I don’t have to be near as concerned with output Z and can tailor an amp to the job at hand. I also have a fondness for old solidly engineered parts and designs. Nothing would please me more than to have western electric type designs with a mixture of old and new parts. WE, RCA, Bell labs….now that was when audio had top notch engineering behind it.

Russ

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.