Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Can these advent grill covers possibly be orginal?!?!

Let me sum all this up.

Utility Advents have bigger grills than the walnut veneer version. Original Advents (Masonite ring woofer) have a 3" tweeter opening in both walnut and utility versions. The New Advent is the one with the larger rectangular tweeter cutout on both utility and walnut.

You really don't want to interchange original and New Advents grill frames. The walnut veneer versions won't interchange, the utility grills might, but I've never tried it. My original walnut Advent grills measure 11.75" x 23" over the grill cloth, so the Masonite frame will be a little smaller. 11.5" x 22.75" sounds pretty close for just the Masonite panel.

The Advent woofer in both Masonite ring and steel frame versions has the same external dimensions. It is not 12" wide, as it's not round; but the so-called "pincushion" shape. A pincushion frame is 12.25" diagonally across the mounting points, but 11.75" in between, so the grill can be narrower than 12".

Henry Kloss is probably rotating in his grave at 12,000 RPM over those grills on ebay.

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Can these advent grill covers possibly be orginal?!?! - Bold Eagle 14:12:30 04/07/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.