Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Kind of a sweeping statement there

Hello, j rodney:

You referred to:

"Lets see, early Scott components with copper chasis VS those Fishers with the plastic knobs...;^)"

Where did you come up with that one? :-) And, what does this have to do with my previous statement, anyway?

Over the past forty years, I have owned quite a few pieces of both Fisher tube gear as well as components by Scott. I can tell you that from my personal experience, I have yet to find a tube-era Fisher set of any kind which did not come in a rather robustly constructed chassis. I found quite a few of the contemporary Scott pieces to be less robustly constructed, however.

And specifically, as concerns SCOTT TUNERS versus FISHER TUNERS, the Scott tube-era units often came equipped with very thin aluminum bottom plates. This happens to be a fact.

Even my Scott 310-D features that sort of construction. Keep in mind that such components were mostly meant to be housed in nice quality wooden cabinets or placed through cut-out openings in custom installations.

Obviously, this does not have anything at all to do with sound quality, mind you, just logistics.

Then, of course, there are Harman-Kardon amps and preamps, which are built like armoured vehicles! Ever lift a Citation I preamp? Get a back-brace!

Anyway, cheers!

Richard Links
Berkeley, CA

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Kind of a sweeping statement there - Marantzguy 10:28:02 04/05/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.