Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Threshold 800A Amplifier

Tony
I got mine for 175.00 from a friend of mine who bought it new in 1977.All I replaced in it to get it working was the big filter caps and one was open causing the amp not to come on but I did blow 6 of the output transistors in a staggerd fashsion and it was my own fault because when the filter cap was out,I put to large a fuse in for testing and it took out six of the 24 outputs in the one channel.
The motorola outputs only cost me 1.35 and 1.65 each..I bought a whole channels worth to have on hand from hamilton avnet being they were so cheap...It takes the 2n5876 and one other one escapes me at the moment I think its a 2n also..Anyway about two years ago I changed the smaller caps on the power supply board which cost hardly nothing..I use this amp for bass on my big subs with the martin logans at times and I have also used it on the imf sacms full range..Its a nice classic piece for what I have in it but I like the later threshold stuff better like the sa2s and sa3s.
I noticed on my amp the button you push in for on/off seems to take it to standby only.I think I might have to chnage the triac.
The toggle switches in back are a little strange to but overall its a hell of an amp.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Threshold 800A Amplifier - Michael Samra 23:40:40 04/03/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.