Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

HiFi for the masses, not in the USA

While prices and availibility of good vintage gear are getting depressing, there are still bargains to be had. Look carefully, at the bay, and places that you used to score. The thrift shops still come up with stuff, as do the flea markets. If you can fix the stuff, the audio exchange stores, which have a hard time sticking it out, these days, can help.
I think there are two major facts that are the reasons. First, and foremost, is the internet, the bay, in fact. Ebay has caused the flea markets to dry up, but it also has brought some very obscure stuff, for the world, to purchase.
The other fact is undisputable. Young Americans don't care about hifi like their parents do/did. While they might appreciate some of our old music, they really have their own agenda. They want nothing to do with records, except to hear what we did listen to, way back when. Although, at every antique radio show, I always see a dad and child seeking to buy an affordable record player for the kid, but not very hifi. Compare this to the rest of the world, where valves and music are cherished. The British want their KT66s back. The Euro collectors pass the heritage down, as well.
But, the largest growing audio hobby is still in Asia. Right now, Korea seems to take the lead in buying hifi. Twenty years ago, it was Japan. What has happened is simple. Parents cherish music and discipline. They insist that their kids play music and play it well. They love their hifi sets. They share the knowledge with their kids.
Asian kids are the largest DIY audio group in the world. Perhaps, not having anymore quality, NON-commercially oriented hifi magazines in the USA, has also helped the demise of this hobby, stateside.
Then again, we have the net. We have these forums. Unfortunately, there are not many affordable resources for gear, despite the so- called world wide web. There is lots of new stuff to be had, but at a cost. I don't buy $2000. speakers or amps or CD players. Neither do any of my neighbors. Yes, this hobby is becoming elitist.
Don't forget, though, that is was always about 1% of the USA population, that still used tubes, since the late 1970s.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.