Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Warfedale super 12 as/al woofer

I suspect very few understand what to put them in, box-wise. In an infinite baffle of 6 cubic feet, there is NO bass to speak of. Also, it's pretty directional on the high end. It's a full range, not a woofer, although they did make separate woofers with a W prefix. They had lower flux density magnets, longer voice coils, and heavier cones, and they would work in an infinite baffle. i had a W15FS/ and used it in an 8 cubic foot Able wood enclosure with a Super 8 FS/AL for the mids and an AR-3ST range extender tweeter that AR sold for a while. (AR-3 1.38" dome and 7500 Hz high pass filter in a box) I mounted the AR-3ST inside the enclosure and as a 3 way it sounded darn good.

I solved the bass and directional issue with my Super 12 with an Electro-Voice Aristocrat corner horn/reflex cabinet. In the corner, less dispersion was needed and it sure helped the low end. I drove it with a reworked Eico HF-20 that put out about 35 watts. The HF-20 output xformer was good for 50.

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.