Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

I can help

The EH el34's are brighter on the top end than other el34's. I like them and use them as I hear a loss of detail with SED's. But most like the SED better. So you have a way to tune there but I wouldn't call the EH's "siblant"..

On the 6dj8/6922/7308/ family.....I stand by what i said below....the other brands are harsh and thin. The right one can sound remarkable. The EH's are at least quiet and not terrible....better than most jan phillips. I have tried some late 60's vintage eastern block ones that were labeled brimar that were quiet and 80+% of the better tubes and they should be cheap if you know what to look for. So a good chance to fix the sibilance:)

If you can afford it I'd say pick up a set of the SED el34's and try some amperex's. Jim McShane is good for the el34's and tubemonger has some nice 7308's. A good matched pair should last you many years. But they cost a lot and I'd rather see you try any used but good amperex over a NOS of any brand. Some don't have the bass of others but none are grainy on the top.

Russ

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I can help - Russ57 17:34:05 03/27/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.