Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Stanton 680 & 681 stylii fit Pickering XV-15

Thanks!

You're quite right about the wear vs tracking force and radius issue. Years ago I ran calcualtions on the Hertzian stresses in the vinyl and a 0.2 mil side radius at 1 gram has significantly higher stress than a 0.6 mil at 3 grams. I also ran a test comparison using three brand new copies of the same LP. One was kept as a reference, one was played at 1.5 grams with a Shure M91ED, and the other with a Stanton 500E at 3 grams. The played LP's were compared to the reference after 1, 5, 10, 15, 25, and 50 plays. I only played the inner bands, which took about 6 minutes. Even at 5 plays, the 500E was noticeably cleaner in the highs. After the 50 plays on each, they were rested overnight and again compared to the reference. The record played with the 500E was nearly as good as the reference, having recovered overnight. The one played with the M91ED was better, but never recovered nearly as much as the 500E, and there was noticeable permanent damage.

I know you wouldn't play an LP that way, time after time with no rest between plays, but it did confirm the substance of my calculations. It also shows the ability of vinyl to recover it's shape after plastic deformation, given sufficient time. provided, of course, it's not deformed too far.

To get the repeat play, I used a Dual 1229, with the changer spindle in place and a 45 RPM adapter on the top of the spindle. Since the "tree" type spindle couldn't drop the thick 45 adapter, it always sensed a record in place and would repeat play, thinking it was the next record. The size was set to 7", so only the inner groves were played.

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.