Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Why so little info on Wharfedale?

Check on eBay for the book by Biggs on his designs. Wharfedale like many U.K. companies did not have the scale of production to saturate the US market. Hence there are relatively few items from companies Quad, Leak, Naim, etc. I seem to remember tha tthe company had a major fire in late '70s and much from earlier years was destroyed and hence drivers, literature, repairs, etc. are not available.

As for sound, I am on my 2nd pair in over a span of some 40 years with the 1st being a then almost new set of W70Ds and now an earleir set of W70s. Used with equipment suitably mated for them and in environments and with music they were designed with they are excellent. The sound is very well balanced, open and well artculated at lower levels. Not designed as high SPL speakers and definitely NOT for high powered amps unless you like frying things but with something in the 5 - 30 watt range that is high quality and on most music but rock and at levels that I term polite apartment house dwellers who are considerate of neighbors they can be wonderful. Dumping some aweful high powered reciever from acroos the other pond and trying to get into Klipsch SPL territory will not do anything for them. Some of the best sound of any system I've heard came form a set of W70Ds mated to a Marantz 19 and my W70s mated to a Dyna SCA35.

High end is not out to light speed as so many of the earbleeding digital speakers of today are but on the other side they come loser to reproducing the sound from a classical acoustic performance than the digital dribbles.

Biggs BTW was internationally recognized as 1 of the few experts in speaker design and development and ranks up with the best from any country.

Klispch and JBL L-100 lovers will not like them; persons who think 1 note bass thumpers are where it is at but music lovers who attend live acoustic performances will most likely be those who chase them.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.