Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Why so little info on Wharfedale?

Hi Bystander,

I have a pair of W90's set up at my mother's house. The multiple, horizontally aligned drivers do not make for pinpoint stereo imaging, they don't handle much power and the highs are a bit rolled off, but that is about all I can criticize. On the plus side, the have no cabinet coloration that I can hear, they are very efficient and the drivers seem to be very low distortion within their power range. They are so efficient that the lack of power handling is not an issue. I will bet a 300B Set, SCA-35 or ST-35 could drive the to good volume levels. Put a stethoscope on normal speakers and you will hear a dull drone of the music playing. Put a stethoscope on a W90 and you hear nothing!

If I were to maximize a W90, I would add a super tweeter like the inexpensive Fostex and run it on tubes. You would be able to shake the walls with a nice EL34 amp like a Dynaco Stereo 70. An EL84 amp would be very sweet! It may not do the audiophile imaging tricks, but it will sound like music.

Dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Why so little info on Wharfedale? - Crazy Dave 08:33:04 03/27/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.