Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Magnavox CDB650 Problems

I'm looking for some help with some mechanical problems with my old CD player.

1) The tray doesn't extend dependably when I press OPEN. The rails & tray lift and I can see the small pulley turning underneath the whole thing but the belt just slips. If I give one of the rails a nudge (I've got the cover off) it comes out like its supposed to. After doing that 3-4 times, it will work on its own. But if it sits for a few seconds, it will stall again. If I don't nudge the rail or press OPEN again the motor just keeps running.

2) When the tray does extend, it seems to come out a little too far. I can hear the motor running and see the little pulley spinning even though the tray is all the way out. If I push the tray back in a little bit the LH rail makes contact with some sort of double limit switch and shuts the motor down. Again, if I don't push the tray back or push OPEN again the motor just keeps running.

I had problms with this unit some years ago and had it serviced. The laser was replaced, but I don't know if that means the whole transport or just the laser. I don't see any sort of label that says CDMA2 or 4 anywhere.

These seem like the sorts of things that ought to be fixed via some sort of adjustments somewhere. But I can't figure out where those would be. So I'm looking for suggestions. Or links to repair instructions.

Thanks,

Andy

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - Magnavox CDB650 Problems - Andy Traxel 20:44:45 03/26/07 (3)

You can not post to an archived thread.