Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Is It Live or JBL?

You vintage guys remember the old "Is it live or memorex" ads right? So I'm being a little silly here. I've made a few posts here and at lansing heritage.org about my JBL L-88 and desires to improve etc. over the past 8 months or so.
So far I replaced the original 8mF caps with new Solen caps. I have added about an 1 1/2 of fiberglass to the back, top and bottom. Some improvements. Now I have replaced the LE25 tweeters with 035Ti titinium domes. I was suggested that I plug the port as well. So now I have a temp plug in the port and have added polyfill to the top half of the box down to the entrance of the angled port. I only plugged the port a few days ago.
Since we were going to take my father-in-law to the Cleveland Orch concert on Sunday I did some intense listening to a Berlin Phil Cd of Stravinsky's Symphony in 3 movement which was to be performed on Sunday. I listened before and after the plugging. I did notice that the bass was less "boomy" The parts of the piano were more pronounced and I could more clearly tell there was a bass drum and tymphony.
So of the concert we go.
Of course nothing can compare to a live performance in a well built hall. But I must say the L-88T's, as I now call them, hold up remarkable well to the comparison. True an A-B test of several hours delay between the A and the B is not much of a test.
Now comes the real question. With the original configuration the 123a woofer was allowed to just roll off. Its reasonable flat to almost 6K according to testing done by Troelsgravesen.dk The original L88 was suppose to cross at 3K but my calculation show this 8ohm tweeter to cross at 2500 with the 8mF cap. Now the 035 is, according to JBL lit and some testing done by? (can't find the link) is a 4ohm driver. This makes it cross as 5K! if my calculations are correct. So do I add another cap in parallel to bring it up to 10ohm for a 4k cross or to 13.25 for a 3k? I also could add a choke to the woofer.

Opinions and comments welcomed

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Is It Live or JBL? - joetech 20:18:22 03/26/07 (3)

You can not post to an archived thread.