Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Just got Fisher 800C project - need advice

I got a working but problematic Fisher 800C receiver at our Denver 'Vintage Voltage Expo'. I got it cheap so I had no illusions about it. I could tell 2 of the 7591 power output tubes had some brown on the tops, getter flash mostly gone. When I turned on the 800 (it had been powered recently by the guy I bought it from) I saw that one of the tubes went cherry red, I turned it off immediately.

The bases of these 2 tubes were cracked from overheating. Here's the question: is the problem in the circuit, causing these tubes to act this way? Or are they just bad tubes, and I can solve that problem by putting in another pair of 7591s I have from a different Fisher amp I have? I sure don't want to damage my good Sylvania 7591s.

I plan to restore the 800. I may get one of those kits that will include some caps, diodes and other basic parts.

Can I expect good FM from this? Fisher tube tuners I worked on had mild hum I couldn't get rid of.

I would be grateful for any advice. I know this receiver has been discussed a lot here, and I am searching archives for general info.

Pete

BTW, the Vintage Voltage was huge success. Hundreds of people attended. A lot of great gear for sale, everything from antique radios to high-end used equipment. I sold three turntables, an amp, other things.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Just got Fisher 800C project - need advice - PeterI 08:21:22 03/26/07 (14)

You can not post to an archived thread.