Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Tuner specs, what are the more important numbers

In addition to the very good list that mkmelt supplied, I also look at capture ratio. It expresses how well a tuner can separate two stations on the same frequency. Not too common a problem, but it can occur if you are between cities. We used to have problems here in Cleveland with a Detroit station on the same frequency.

I find that in the modern era with the air full of "stuff" from cell phones. cordless phones, pagers, planes, digital noise, etc. The tuners from a lot of the 70's receivers are not up to the job. I tried several and ended up with an Onkyo Integra T-4087, which is clean as a whistle. My main problem here is multipath, owing to the city water tower being 180 degrees away from the antenna of our local good music station.

Remember that a good, directional antenna mounted as high as possible is the best solution. An average tuner with a good antenna will outperform a great tuner with a crappy antenna.

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.