Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

What little I have learned is....

that a nice smooth wide range speaker simply can't be cheap. Even the better ones are best used for a restricted range and many require a notch filter.

So I guess I am saying if you really want 100 to 10Khz you better fork out $500 or more per driver and use a notch filter(and a bandpass filter). I use the audax which is much the same as the B200 (not quite the range). I found out in a hurry it was best to limit the top end to under 2Khz and ideally 1k5 with a steep roll off. I'm only good for 250 on the low end but yours will do 100 hertz.

Speakers are tough and force you into compromises. Line level passive more than 12dB require large inductors and very low output impedance from the preamp. That basically rules out a tube preamp or requires op-amp buffers.....or a tube preamp that runs something like a 5998 tube. A headphone amp might work to drive such filters. Forget cathode followers based on 12aXX series tubes. They are only "paper tigers" and can't really drive a load.

So I admire your approach but I think an active crossover just makes life a lot easier. If we don't include the ability to change crossover points with a knob it shouldn't cost much to build one. The marchand solution of using plug in cards to change crossover points might be a good compromise. Adding one dual triode (per side) allows input and output buffering and would allow a 10Khz pot.

Have you invested in something to measure in-room response?

We are doing much the same stuff. I am just using an active crossover and running a compression driver/waveguide down much lower. I have a couple of friends involved too. One will use the same mid but the heil amt for a tweeter with active crossover. The other had lowthers so went more the wide range approach. He did the basszilla and it is worth reading up on. It is a mix of active and passive filtering and gives you a good indication of the complexity of the crossover needed to tame (and intergrate other drivers with) these wide range drivers. Nothing is as easy as it seems at first look:)

I still need to decide of woofers. I'm torn between open baffle and (front) horn loaded. No WAF to worry about for the first time in my life!

Russ
P.S. Sometimes I think I should just get the behringer with mike, decide on crossover points and play with room treatments, and then go back to what we are trying to do.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.