Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

running 2 mono tube amps in parallel to one speaker

(I asked this in the Tube Asylum too; hope cross posting is allowed)

In the world of chip amps (gainclones) the amp circuits can easily be paralleled, doubling the current output to driver lower impedance loads. The only difference with using more then one amp is there is a 0.1 ohm resistor between the output of each amp and the load [speaker].

I had read the Aletc Sound of Theater amps can be paralleled. Is there anything unique to that amp that allows for this, or basically that all Tube amps with Output transformers permit parallelling? I know that the Altec 1569A amp has an ancillary secondary winding off which the feedback is tapped. That winding does not share a circuit or any current flow with the other main secondary that the speakers are connected to; just the induced signal from the primary. Is this 'the' requirement to be able to parallel the amps and the only type of amp that can be paralleled?

Thanx all,
Steve

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - running 2 mono tube amps in parallel to one speaker - m8o 01:13:38 03/25/07 (3)

You can not post to an archived thread.