Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Tuner specs, what are the more important numbers

I assume you want to listen in stereo. The tuner specs I usually pay attention to include:

Sensitivity for 50db stereo quieting: (expressed in the more modern dbf units, 34-37dbf is typical, here lower is better)

Adjacent Channel (200KHz separation of signals) Selectivity: (8-15 db is typical, higher is better. Usually only important if you are trying to listen to a weak station that is one assigned channel frequency (200KHz)away from an equally strong or stronger station.)

Alternate Channel (400KHz separation of signals) Selectivity: (50-70 db is typical, higher is better. Some tuners feature switchable wide/normal, and narrow intermediate frequency (i.f.) tuning stages that are able to boost selectivity performance, but usually at the expense of slightly higher total harmonic distortion (THD).)

AM Rejection: (80db, 100db is not unusual, higher is better, this spec is a good, but not perfect, indication of a tuner's ability to reject multipath interference (reflections of FM signals bouncing off mountains, overhead airplanes, tall structures.)

Maximum Stereo S/N: (Assumes a very strong signal. 60-80db, 70 db is typical, higher is better.)

Stereo Separation: (Usually stated for multiple frequencies such as 100Hz, 1KHz, 4KHz, 10KHz.) Midband separation can easily exceed 40db, usually the spec for 10KHz will be much lower. Anything over 15db should be enough to provide the necessary auditory cues to localize the sound of specific instruments in the stereo sound field.)

Frequency Response: Most tuners are going to quote similar frequency responses, typically from a low of 20Hz or 30Hz to 15KHz at the upper end, +/- 1db.

Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.1 - 0.5%, measured distortion is usually lower at the midband, slightly higher for the uppermost tested frequency(10khz). Lower is better.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.